We’re looking for an Experience Designer with demonstrable leadership skills to join our friendly and supportive team in the heart of Brighton.
We’re a group of smart, passionate people with the support, trust and freedom to do the job we love. We’re free from the typical constraints of big agencies and have fostered a culture that encourages you to do the best and most fulfilling work of your career.
You’ll get to tackle big, interesting challenges for diverse clients — we’ve worked for Virgin Atlantic, Penguin, Spotify, UNICEF, and Channel 4 to name a few.
- Defining and articulating product vision & strategy
- Designing and facilitating participatory design workshops
- Leading a cross–functional product design team
- Understanding and communicating organisational objectives and audience needs
- Generating innovative product concepts and service blueprints with clients and colleagues
- Building continuous learning into the design process
- Nurturing long term relationships with our clients
- Coaching and mentoring junior colleagues as well as the broader community of practice
- Competitive salary £50,000–£60,000 depending on experience
- Flexible, family-friendly working hours
- 30 days annual leave as standard
- Substantial training budget
- A friendly, creative studio environment two minutes walk from the seafront
- Free breakfasts, great coffee and top notch tea
You get under the skin of problems
You insist on understanding the problem before considering solutions, even if that means starting out with ‘just–enough research’. You focus on the needs of the people using your products and services, but balance them with those of the product owner’s and technical team.
You think strategically
You are a big–picture thinker but understand the benefits of making complex ideas simple through diagrams and concept maps. Workshops are often your medium, and the outputs are invariably walls full of drawings and post-it notes. You enjoy sketching out ideas with clients and teammates, but are hands-on enough to help bring those ideas into reality.
You are articulate
You understand that success can often rest on the quality of communication. You pride yourself on expressing your ideas clearly and with a strong sense of purpose that encourages trust from your colleagues and clients, whether that’s a conversation around the white board, an innovative design concept or a strategy presentation in a slide deck.
You do your best work leading and collaborating within cross–functional teams and know that shared understanding is the secret sauce. You instinctively share your ideas with colleagues, peers and the community, and love to see them adapt and evolve as a result of constructive criticism.
You value outputs, but know that outcomes are what matter
You know the best way to tackle complex problems is by remaining adaptable. You understand and respect the differences between the various design and development processes, while not following any practice unknowingly. You have a large set of techniques to draw upon, but rather than fetishising deliverables, you focus on the change we create.
Does this sound like you?
If so, please drop a short note to email@example.com, tell us why you’re right for this role and point to a showcase of your own work. We’re more interested in understanding your approach to design problems than seeing a collection of shiny deliverables. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
Small things worth noting
- Applicants should, ideally, be eligible to work in the UK
- Closing date for applications is Friday 1st June
- We will be contacting shortlisted candidates for this role during June, with interviews expected to take place in early July
Oh, one last thing: Recruiters, we categorically won’t be working with agencies on this appointment. Even if you are different from all the others ;-)