I wrote back, saying this about languages:
And this is what I said about hardware and software:
It doesn’t matter whether you use a Mac or a Windows PC, as long as you’ve got an internet connection, some web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, for example) and a text editor. There are some very good free text editors available for Mac and PC:
For resources, I had a trawl through links I’ve tagged with “learning” and “html” and sent along some links to free online tutorials:
- Codebar tutorials
- HTML+CSS tutorial
- Marksheet, a free HTML and CSS tutorial
- Learn to code HTML and CSS
- Just starting out with CSS and HTML
- Interneting is hard (but it doesn’t have to be)
- Web design in four minutes
- The front-end developer handbook
After sending that email, I figured that this list might be useful to anyone else looking to start out in web development. If you know of anyone in that situation, I hope this list might help.
This was originally posted on my own site.