We’re looking for a designer with demonstrable skills in leading and architecting intuitive and inspiring digital experiences to join our friendly and supportive team in the heart of Brighton.
You’ll get to tackle big, interesting challenges for diverse clients — we’ve worked with Virgin Atlantic, Penguin, Spotify, UNICEF, and Channel 4 to name a few.
Your role is essential in helping inform, shape and deliver digital products and services, through:
- Vision: You help direct the vision and strategic direction of clients and/or the organisation’s products or services.
- Architecture: You can work with a broad range of people and processes to extract and document a coherent systemic overview of an experience, either as it exists or as it is to be designed.
- Insight: You can confidently diagnose key client opportunities by synthesising evidence efficiently and effectively, including those provided by secondary research.
- Exploration: You can repeatedly iterate and improve on a range of potential design solutions.
- Validation: You understand common user behaviours, and can provide evidence-based design guidance by assessing and validating specific design concepts and solutions with end-users, peers and client stakeholders.
- Craft: You understand the design fundamentals of layout, and can prototype testable user interfaces under support and guidance from colleagues.
You will also be responsible for supporting and nurturing the UX practice at Clearleft under the stewardship of the UX Director, through:
- Direction: You formally lead, manage or direct colleagues or team members in executing their work to an exemplary standard.
- Mentoring: You support the ongoing growth of colleagues, through informal, ad-hoc advice sessions and regular catchups.
- Coaching: You can formally coach and train colleagues to learn new skills, techniques and ways of working.
- Competitive salary £45,000–£60,000 depending on experience
- Flexible, family-friendly working hours
- 30 days annual leave as standard
- £1,000 training budget each year
- A friendly, creative studio environment two minutes walk from the seafront
- Free breakfasts, great coffee and top notch tea
What we value
We’re a group of smart, passionate people with the support, trust and freedom to do the job we love. We’re free from the typical constraints of big agencies and have fostered a culture that encourages you to do the best and most fulfilling work of your career. There are a number of key attitudes shared by everyone at Clearleft:
You get under the skin of problems
You insist on a deeper understanding of the problem before rushing into solutions, even if that sometimes means starting out with ‘just enough research’. You focus on the needs of the people using your products and services, but are able to understand the complexity involved in balancing them with the client’s organisational goals or technical constraints.
You think strategically
You are a big–picture thinker but understand the benefits of making complex ideas simple through diagrams, concept maps, sketches or other visual thinking techniques. You enjoy working through ideas with clients and colleagues and workshops are often your medium of choice. Your primary outputs are invariably physical rather than digital - such as walls full of post-it notes.
You are articulate
You understand that success can often rest on the quality of communication. You prefer discussion over emails and documents. You pride yourself on expressing your ideas clearly and with a strong sense of purpose that encourages trust from your colleagues and clients, whether that’s a conversation around a whiteboard, an innovative design concept or a strategy presentation in a slide deck.
You do your best work collaborating within cross–functional teams and know that shared understanding is the critical factor in achieving a successful outcome. You instinctively share your findings and ideas with colleagues, peers and the community, and love to see them adapt and evolve as a result of constructive criticism.
You value outputs, but know that outcomes are what matter
You know the best way to tackle complex problems is by remaining adaptable. You understand and respect the differences between the various research, design or development methodologies (such as JTBD or Agile), while not following any practice unknowingly. You have an array of techniques to draw upon, but focus on the outcomes of your work, rather than fetishise the way it looks or how it’s delivered.
Does this sound like you?
If so, please drop me a short email to email@example.com, or connect with me on LinkedIn, telling me why you’re right for this role and point to a CV, resume or portfolio of your work. We’re more interested in understanding what problems you have helped solve (and how), rather than seeing a collection of shiny deliverables. I look forward to hearing from you.
Some things worth noting
- Applicants should be eligible to work in the UK
- We are keeping this vacancy open until it is filled, which means there is no closing date for applications
- We endeavour to get in touch with candidates within two weeks of you contacting us, which typically begins with a casual chat prior to a more formal interview process
- We categorically won’t be working with recruitment agencies on this appointment. Even if you are different from all the others.