Once I had a design direction for the Patterns Day site, I started combining my marked-up content with some CSS. Ironically for an event that's all about maintainability and reusability, I wrote the styles for this one-page site with no mind for future use. I treated the page as a one-shot document. I even used ID selectors—gasp! (the IDs were in the HTML anyway as fragment identifiers).
The truth is I didn't have much of a plan. I just started hacking away in a
style element in the
head of the document, playing around with colour, typography, and layout.
I started with the small-screen styles. That wasn't a conscious decision so much as just the way I do things automatically now. When it came time to add some layout for wider viewports, I used a sprinkling of old-fashioned
display: inline-block so that things looked so-so. I knew I wanted to play around with Grid layout so the
inline-block styles were there as fallback for non-supporting browsers. Once things looked good enough, the fun really started.
I was building the site while I was in Seattle for An Event Apart. CSS Grid layout was definitely a hot topic there. Best of all, I was surrounded by experts: Jen, Rachel, and Eric. It was the perfect environment for me to dip my toes into the waters of grid.
Jen was very patient in talking me through the concepts, syntax, and tools for using CSS grids. Top tip: open Firefox's inspector, select the element with the
display:grid declaration, and click the "waffle" icon—instant grid overlay!
For the header of the Patterns Day site, I started by using named areas. That's the ASCII-art approach. I got my head around it and it worked okay, but it didn't give me quite the precision I wanted. I switched over to using explicit
It's definitely a new way of thinking about layout: first you define the grid, then you place the items on it (rather than previous CSS layout systems where each element interacted with the elements before and after). It was fun to move things around and not have to worry about the source order of the elements ...as long as they were direct children of the element with
Without any support for sub-grids, I ended up having to nest two separate grids within one another. The logo is a grid parent, which is inside the header, also a grid parent. I managed to get things to line up okay, but I think this might be a good use case for sub-grids.
The logo grid threw up some interesting challenges. I wanted each letter of the words "Patterns Day" to be styleable, but CSS doesn't give us any way to target individual letters other than
:first-letter. I wrapped each letter in a
b element, made sure that they were all wrapped in an element with an
aria-hidden attribute (so that the letters wouldn't be spelled out), and then wrapped that in an element with an
aria-label of "Patterns Day." Now I could target those
For a while, I also had a
br element (between "Patterns" and "Day"). That created some interesting side effects. If a
br element becomes a grid item, it starts to behave very oddly: you can apply certain styles but not others. Jen and Eric then started to test other interesting elements, like
hr. There was much funkiness and gnashing of specs.
It was a total nerdfest, and I loved every minute of it. This is definitely the most excitement I've felt around CSS for a while. It feels like a renaissance of zen gardens and layout reservoirs (kids, ask your parents).
After a couple of days playing around with grid, I had the Patterns Day site looking decent enough to launch. I dabbled with some other fun CSS stuff in there too, like gratuitous clip paths and filters when hovering over the speaker images, and applying
shape-outside with an image mask.
Go ahead and view source on the Patterns Day page if you want—I ended up keeping all the CSS in the
head of the document. That turned out to be pretty good for performance ...for first-time visits anyway. But after launching the site, I couldn't resist applying some more performance tweaks.
This was originally published on my own site.