We’re looking for an experienced, digital designer to join our friendly and supportive team in the heart of Brighton. As senior digital designer you’ll be responsible for translating the aspirations of our clients, their brands and the needs of their customers into compelling experiences, across a range of digital platforms.
You’ll be guiding the creative vision as part of a multi-disciplined team. So in addition to outstanding creative skills, you’ll also need to be an expert collaborator and comfortable operating at a higher level - both setting design vision and strategy, and leading both projects and teams.
To compliment your stellar craft skills, you’ll also need to be a strong communicator. You should be happy working day-to-day with clients, running stakeholder workshops, leading co-design sessions and presenting your recommendations to audiences of all levels.
Each client engagement is treated as a design challenge in itself, so we’re looking for experienced individuals who have a breadth of skills and the experience to know how to apply them to achieve the right outcomes.
We like to think Clearleft is free from the typical constraints of big agencies. We’re a group of smart, passionate people who are given the support, trust and freedom to do the job we love. We’ve worked hard to foster a culture that we hope will enable you to do the best and most fulfilling work of your career.
You’ll get to tackle interesting challenges for a diverse range of clients. We’ve worked with John Lewis, Virgin Atlantic, Spotify, the BBC, Penguin, Channel 4 and eBay to name just a few.
- Conceiving and crafting design direction on projects
- Articulating brand and identity digitally
- Communicating creative vision
- Understanding and developing design systems
- Leading projects and cross-functional teams
- Designing and facilitating participatory design workshops
- Coaching junior colleagues
- Participating with the design community at large
- Competitive salary £40,000–£50,000 depending on experience
- Flexible, family-friendly working hours
- 30 days annual leave as standard
- £1,200 training budget each year
- A friendly, creative studio environment two minutes walk from the seaside
- Free breakfasts, great coffee and top notch tea
What we value
We’re a group of smart, passionate people with the support, trust and freedom to do the job we love. We’re free from the typical constraints of big agencies and have fostered a culture that encourages you to do the best and most fulfilling work of your career. There are a number of key attitudes shared by everyone at Clearleft:
You get under the skin of problems
You’re not just interested in creating ‘beautiful’ things. You insist on understanding the problem before considering solutions. You focus on the needs of the people using your products and services, but can balance them with those of the business and technical teams.
You are articulate
You understand that success can often rest on the quality of communication. You pride yourself on expressing your ideas clearly and with a clear sense of purpose that encourages trust from both colleagues and clients.
You are a visual thinker
You prefer sketching and discussion over emails and documents. You understand the benefits of making complex ideas simple through rapid visualisation. You enjoy sketching out ideas with clients and teammates, but are hands-on enough to help bring those ideas into reality.
You do your best work within cross–functional teams and you know that shared understanding is their secret sauce. You instinctively share your ideas with colleagues, peers and the community, and love to see them adapt and evolve as a result of constructive criticism. Whenever possible, you insist on face–to–face communication.
You’re agile (with a small ‘a’)
You know the best way to tackle complex problems is by moving fast and remaining agile. You understand the differences between the various design and development processes, but don’t following any one practice unthinkingly. You have a large toolkit of techniques to draw upon, but rather than fetishising deliverables, you focus on outcomes.
You know details matter
You know the difference between a good and a great experience is in the detail. You obsess over content, colour, type and hierarchy and will always fight for it to be better, but, you’re pragmatic enough to know when you’re gilding the lily.
Does this sound like you?
If so, please drop me a short email to email@example.com, or connect with me on LinkedIn, telling me why you’re right for this role and point to a CV, resume or portfolio of your work. We’re particularly interested in understanding what problems you have helped solve (and how).
Some things worth noting
- Applicants should be eligible to work in the UK
- We are keeping this vacancy open until it is filled, which means there is no closing date for applications
- We endeavour to get in touch with candidates within two weeks of you contacting us, which typically begins with a casual chat prior to a more formal interview process
- We categorically won’t be working with recruitment agencies on this appointment. Even if you are different from all the others.